Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, before I bought my 2007 Nitro I initially thought the wheel bearing had gone but the dealer said he had it checked and no issues, his comments were that the sound was because of the ‘off road’ tires. I’ve been driving it about 5 days now and I’m not convinced, have read a few old threads on here about other reasons that sound might occur. Hard to explain sound in writing but I’m worried that it is actually something else, it almost winds up as I drive faster and winds down when I drive slower if that makes sense? Any help please before I pay to have it checked out would be great

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like it’s coming from the front passenger side, PepBoys are going to perform a free brake inspection on Saturday morning in which the guy said they will check for other faults (potential wheel bearing) and let me know. Will keep this post updated when I find out

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel like it’s coming from the front passenger side, PepBoys are going to perform a free brake inspection on Saturday morning in which the guy said they will check for other faults (potential wheel bearing) and let me know. Will keep this post updated when I find out
If you make a sharp turn at road speed and it gets louder it's probably the one that the vehicles weight is leaning on during the turn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you make a sharp turn at road speed and it gets louder it's probably the one that the vehicles weight is leaning on during the turn.
Ok I will give it a go, the more I drive it I keep thinking it must be a wheel bearing, I read on an old feed here that someone had their hub rebuilt/replaced in a similar situation or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update from todays free inspection at my local PepBoys and what feels to have come out of nowhere is that the Lower control arms are torn and sway bar endlinks torn, resulting in a quotation of $2000 to repair. I’m annoyed as I didn’t feel any major concerns when driving over speed bumps etc in which I do daily because of where I live but I swear since they have inspected the vehicle, now when I drive over speed bumps the Nitro creaks and cracks away like never before! Am I going mad or is it possible that something has caused this to feel like it never has before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$2000?

Seems insane.

Lower controls arms are torn? Or the bushings?

If end links are bad, upgrade to WOody's.
Yeah something seems really off, really annoyed with the service from PepBoys, they even cracked the plastic seat side panel on the passenger side too. I’m taking it to an independent mechanic today at a shop for a second look, will check it with my own eyes too and let you know

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had the Nitro checked over at a shop called Maintenance Pros out here in Upland, California and they gave a free inspection, showed me underneath the car and there is nothing wrong whatsoever, no tears or cracks or anything! all wheel bearings are also good, checked myself too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, before I bought my 2007 Nitro I initially thought the wheel bearing had gone but the dealer said he had it checked and no issues, his comments were that the sound was because of the ‘off road’ tires. I’ve been driving it about 5 days now and I’m not convinced, have read a few old threads on here about other reasons that sound might occur. Hard to explain sound in writing but I’m worried that it is actually something else, it almost winds up as I drive faster and winds down when I drive slower if that makes sense? Any help please before I pay to have it checked out would be great
I have a 2010 nitro and it makes the same noise. My husband changed the hub and barings on both sides but it still makes the same noise. We were going to get new tires next ,though that might be the issue.?
the sounds gets louder the faster you drive..crazy if you figure it out please let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts