Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I search for reviews online everyone seems to put down the sxt version having the dark grey side moldings. I could have bought either version they all three were setting in front of me at the time, but I loved the tough look of the sxt. I know I gave up a few features, but I think it was worth it. Now with the extra bucks I saved I can really dress it up. I wonder what everyone else thinks about the sxt versions trim?
Mark

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,709 Posts
Noones putting it down - its just all a matter of opinion: some people like it - some dont! Yes the SXT is the "rugged" look, but some people like the more sleek and luxury look of the color-matched fenders on SLT and R/T. Not really a matter of one being bad or good - both have advantages its just what the user wants or needs :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I haven't seen anyone putting them down at all. But when I was at the dealers looking at the dark fenders, all I could see was the faded grey fenders on the Cherokee & Neon.
To each his own. Glad you saved some cash to add some things to your rig. I chose not to get the MyGig (since it wasn't available & I didn't want to wait) & spent $100 upgrading my cell phone so I would have a couple gigs of music I could plug into the Nitro stereo......works great! And I'm really hoping to see some tube bumpers, grill guard, etc. come out soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Know whats wrong with the Sxt? I'll tell ya... I think I know!
I think, as a matter of fact and of opinion... Nothing. That's right, Nothing!

There; I said it!

I read too much from those Chouder Heads out there in internet land (not here); Things like; Ohhh "the seats hurt my butt",... To, "The Emergency Brake handle hurts my hand" when I pull on it... And, "It doesn't ride like a luxury car"....

Comeon!! First of all, It's not made to be a luxury car! It's a Toughguy Sport Utility Vehicle! Go buy a Lexus!

Secondly, Real Men don't use emergency brakes! Except when parking on a very steep incline or mabe changing a tire.
If you have a manual transmission, just leave it in Gear and turn it off!
(I Dont think they'll ever go off road, so I wont go there)

Lastly, if they would stop whinning about Everything!...
their Hemeroids would go away, then their Seats would be more Comfortable!

=P LOL! :)
Nitro Owners....Party-On! :beerchug:
frank

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a silver sxt and I love it. I like the sxt cause of the dark fenders, makes it look classy. Not to mutch silver and not to mutch black or grey. The sxt performs to my expectaions and I am very happy with it. I still get looks with this truck cause its not a run of the mill SUV. I dont like the car to be all just one color seems kinda boring. Just the other day I was asked for a jump.lol I dont see any nitros around here but mine and this is a stand out truck....

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Know whats wrong with the Sxt? I'll tell ya... I think I know!
I think, as a matter of fact and of opinion... Nothing. That's right, Nothing!

There; I said it!

I read too much from those Chouder Heads out there in internet land (not here); Things like; Ohhh "the seats hurt my butt",... To, "The Emergency Brake handle hurts my hand" when I pull on it... And, "It doesn't ride like a luxury car"....

Comeon!! First of all, It's not made to be a luxury car! It's a Toughguy Sport Utility Vehicle! Go buy a Lexus!

Secondly, Real Men don't use emergency brakes! Except when parking on a very steep incline or mabe changing a tire.
If you have a manual transmission, just leave it in Gear and turn it off!
(I Dont think they'll ever go off road, so I wont go there)

Lastly, if they would stop whinning about Everything!...
their Hemeroids would go away, then their Seats would be more Comfortable!

=P LOL! :)
Nitro Owners....Party-On! :beerchug:
frank
Come on boattech don't hold back.......... tell us how you really feel... LoL!!!
Seriously you all know he's right. I have and SXT and like the look. But I like the SLT for different reasons just as much if not more. And an R/T... now who doesn't like an R/T. I can tell everyone with an SXT now worrying about their trim if they use Mothers "Back to Black" on it... it won't go bad.
Now someone write something else and see if we can pry another opinion out of boattech! I'm goin' for beer... Party-On Brother!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought my SXT because it was in the confines of my BUDGET! I would've definitely preferred an SLT or R/T, but we can't have everything we want now can we? My credit is excellent and I could've gotten any model Nitro I wanted if the price was within my BUDGET. So, I have an SXT which I can honestly say, I'm extremely happy with. I love driving it, I love the jaw dropping looks I get from every driver that notices my beautiful black SXT. Oh, and definitely the gawking looks from the drivers of Hummers & Range Rovers!
There is one guy on here who has a black SXT getting it's fenders painted black to resemble an SLT & R/T. I can't wait to see that. Hell, I'm seriously thinking about ordering all the SLT bumpers & fenders to be painted black for my Nitro. :eek: Right now, I use Armor All on my fenders and it keeps it nice. I also park in a garage monthly, so I don't see the sun damaging my grey fenders.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ok all, I have read the various posts and IMO...there are Nitros out there for everyone. I first looked at the SXT. Black on Black. They had a manual and an auto. Then the gen manager drove the white one around (SLT). I was trading in a 2004 Trailblazer ST. No frills but good transportation. The wife has said when we trade we need and I wanted my temperture guage back. (From a previous trade of a Pontiac GTP GranPrix) And then we saw the sunroof and it worked in our budget, you got to be paying for something. Anyway we ended up with the SLT. Reading about the upcoming R/T version, I have determined that I like the grille better on the Slt than the R/T and there are not that many options more on it than I got on mine now. I am satisified. And as long as you the buyer is satisified with his or her purchase, then that is all that matters. Period....Everyone have a good night, David

·
Registered
788 Posts
There is one guy on here who has a black SXT getting it's fenders painted black to resemble an SLT & R/T. I can't wait to see that. Hell, I'm seriously thinking about ordering all the SLT bumpers & fenders to be painted black for my Nitro. :eek: Right now, I use Armor All on my fenders and it keeps it nice. I also park in a garage monthly, so I don't see the sun damaging my grey fenders.
Boy, buying all new fenders & bumpers sure seems like it would blow the budget in a hurry. A two tone Nitro like some of the custom ones by CGS & at SEMA would be cool. Talk to some guys who know how to prep the plastic for paint & see what the cost would be. As I understand it, the Armor All might put a kink in that plan as it soaks into the plastic & makes it hard for the paint to stick to it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Boy, buying all new fenders & bumpers sure seems like it would blow the budget in a hurry. A two tone Nitro like some of the custom ones by CGS & at SEMA would be cool. Talk to some guys who know how to prep the plastic for paint & see what the cost would be. As I understand it, the Armor All might put a kink in that plan as it soaks into the plastic & makes it hard for the paint to stick to it.
Well, I'll find the money somewhere! As for Armor All soaking into the plastic, All I would have to do, is to wash with dish washing liquid soap. That would take care of that, although I would NEVER paint plastic! If I decide, I will buy the all the SLT/R/T bumpers anyway. Then again, I do like the "ruggedness" of the grey plastic. That's the good thing about freedom of choice. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
NitroBilly has another great reason to love the SXT.
Its a great vehicle within many more peoples budget, compared to those other brands (even with a few added toys).

The base vehicle is a great value and is not stripped down, it actually comes with a fair share of useable and well thoughout features!

Besides, as NitroBill knows, A vehicle like this is made to ride with pride, not to be burried in (Dept)!

Party-On :beerchug:

Frank

·
Registered
788 Posts
As for Armor All soaking into the plastic, All I would have to do, is to wash with dish washing liquid soap. That would take care of that, although I would NEVER paint plastic!
Again, talk to someone you trust that knows how to paint cars. It's not that uncommon to paint plastic. And Armor All has a history here.
Just suggesting you do a little homework is all.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Again, talk to someone you trust that knows how to paint cars. It's not that uncommon to paint plastic. And Armor All has a history here.
Just suggesting you do a little homework is all.
Your concerns are greatly appreciated. Let me say, I have owned 12 cars in my short 36 years on earth. I've had 3 of those fully painted. I know some of the best auto painters in NYC, that will make any car look factory painted. I'm not one to skimp on auto paint. I will get the same exact paint that DCX used on my Nitro. I'll excuse you for assuming I don't know anything since you don't know me. Oh, and I always do my homework before I do anything in life. Again, thanks for your concerns. :beerchug:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sorry if I'm being presumptious, Billy. It was just that your comments about Armor All & cleaning it with dish soap are definitely contradictory to my own experience. It has nothing to do with "knowing you", or how many cars either of us have had. I've only been here a couple years more & while I've never had any cars painted, I have helped a buddy (who paints for a living) paint 2 of my own cars ourself, the last of which was a Toyota 4'Runner, and it did have some plastic that we had to replace to get paint to stick to it, even after prepping it by sanding it down & wiping it down with alcohol. It still looked different than the rest of the truck & was not nearly as durable. Needless to say, the process is tedious & a learning experience.

All this makes me wonder.... whats the difference in the SXT & the SLT/RT fender plastics? There is definitely a difference in the texture. Suppose it's a different composite? Same but just prepped a bit differently?

Anyway, no offense..... to you or your Nitro! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow

When I started this post I was just wondering about how folks felt about the sxt version. Then it turned into a lot of cool info on painting, prepping and taking care of our nitros. Thanks to everyone I am always looking for information that may help in the future. By the way the product that I have found that works great on black trim and fenders is "Mothers" "Back to Black" it's a good alternative to armorall.
Mark :Racing:

·
Registered
63 Posts
If one prefers a manual transmission over an automatic one then there is unfortunately no alternative to the SXT.

Question: are these plastic fenders and bumpers on the SXT actually colored grey or black? If they are black do they blend in nicely with the rest of the NITRO if the whole car is choosen to be black (as compared to it being white)?

Thanks,
Roland

·
Registered
573 Posts
If one prefers a manual transmission over an automatic one then there is unfortunately no alternative to the SXT.

Question: are these plastic fenders and bumpers on the SXT actually colored grey or black? If they are black do they blend in nicely with the rest of the NITRO if the whole car is choosen to be black (as compared to it being white)?

Thanks,
Roland
The bumpers are dark grey, they almost look black. They do blend in nicely with the Nitro. White Nitro? Well, it's white... and the dark grey compliments white as well as all the other colors.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
You're correct about the painting of the plastic fenders and trim being difficult & expensive and the "Armor All" doesn't help make it any easier. First you'd have to clean them with dewaxing cleaner or a mild solvent... then sand them (there is some texture to deal with)... then prime up a few times and spot putty & scuff each time... then paint & clear adding a "flex agent" like you use on plastic bumper covers. Much easier to just like it black... or trade back in for an SLT or R/T.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.