Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Nitro Slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
On my way to work today and not far from my house, the windshield washer turned on and at the same time my wipers both front and rear. It turned on by itself. I pulled over and removed the battery terminals to reset and after 2 mins put it back. It started honking right away, it’s early in the morning so I roght away removed the terminals again. I removed the horn, front and rear wiper fuses. Connected the battery terminals and noticed that the windshield pump is still going so I looked for its relay to turn it off. Connected the battery and tried starting it, dash light after setting it to ACC but I have light inside the car. I do not know if the battery was drained that quick. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Typical signs of a TIPM that has a short in it.
You need to remove the battery cables to prevent a fire and get it fixed ASAP.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
You can DIY swap a used one if it is from a Nitro with the same engine. If it is going into an 07 that has had the wiper recall and the "swap in" is from a Nitro without the recall, then that will have to be programmed for the wipers to work.
To do it right, swap in a used TIPM, then take it to a dealer to have your VIN specific programming done to it.

Beware, not all TIPMs are created equal. Reman, or new sometimes do not come with any programming. If you decide to by new/reman on-line, be sure to ask specifically if it comes with your VIN specific programming already installed. Just ordering with your VIN is not always enough.
Used, it should have enough programming to get you to a dealer, who can program in the VIN specific programming needed.
Several members here have installed used TIPMs, from a Nitro with the same engine, with success.(If possible avoid the 08 TIPMs they seem to have more problems then the other ones. Also the 07 TIPMs should have been reprogrammed for the wiper recall.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Nitro Slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brought it to my mechanic and he said it is the TIPM and it’s better if I send it to the dealer because even if they can replace it, it needs to be programmed anyway. Any advise sir?
You can DIY swap a used one if it is from a Nitro with the same engine. If it is going into an 07 that has had the wiper recall and the "swap in" is from a Nitro without the recall, then that will have to be programmed for the wipers to work.
To do it right, swap in a used TIPM, then take it to a dealer to have your VIN specific programming done to it.

Beware, not all TIPMs are created equal. Reman, or new sometimes do not come with any programming. If you decide to by new/reman on-line, be sure to ask specifically if it comes with your VIN specific programming already installed. Just ordering with your VIN is not always enough.
Used, it should have enough programming to get you to a dealer, who can program in the VIN specific programming needed.
Several members here have installed used TIPMs, from a Nitro with the same engine, with success.(If possible avoid the 08 TIPMs they seem to have more problems then the other ones. Also the 07 TIPMs should have been reprogrammed for the wiper recall.
thank you sir

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Please read my post you quoted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts